-Wno-deprecated flag not working?

I am trying to compile the simple program:

int main()
{
	char* x[] = {"hello", "my", "boy"};
	return 0;
}

and I get a warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to
‘char*’. (OK - I expect that.) But when I add the -Wno-deprecated flag
to the command line I still get the warning. The -Wno-deprecated flag
does not seem to be suppressing the warning.

Even odder, the latest MinGW port (version 4.4.0) doesn't report any
warning, even without the compiler flag!

Am I missing something?

(Actually, I am trying to compile something with loads of embedded XPM
files which graphics programs produce in the style above. I don't want
to edit any of these, just suppress the ~1000 compilation warnings I'm
getting.)

BTW: Ubuntu 9.10 and gcc 4.4.2

Peter