Re: Information on profiling

Harald Servat <harald.servat@xxxxxx> writes:

>   Is there any pointer on how GCC deals to generate profiles (-p/-pg flags)?

There may be, but I doubt it.

>   In particular, I'm looking for information on (but not only):
>
>   * How GCC instruments user routines when compiling a C file using -p/-pg

It varies by target.  You need to look at the gcc backend for your
target.

>   * Where I can find the instrumentation code (i.e., the code called at
> entry and exit points of user routines). Does it belongs to GCC package?
> Or maybe belongs to a foreign package lib GLIBC?

The entry/exit code is part of gcc.  The code that it calls is mostly
in gcc/libgcov.c.

>   * Where is the alarm set (signal SIGALRM or SIGPROF)?

That is usually handled by the C library.  For glibc, which is used on
GNU/Linux, see the libc/gmon directory.

Ian