Packed-simd SSE for only vectorized loops

Hello,

I am working on autovectorization. Using gcc-4.3.3, 64-bit Ubuntu on an intel core2, and vectorization flags, I found that gcc produces packed-simd SSE opcodes for all instructions in vectorized loops and for some instructions in non-vectorized loops.

Would you please let me know if there a flag or switch to disable gcc producing packed-simd instructions for non-vectorized loops? Or is there any way to distinguish between the packed-simd SSE instructions within vectorized loop and within non-vectorized loops?

Thanks a lot,
Fahimeh