Limit generated instruction set

Hi,

I am quite new to gcc but I already have a specific question.  It is possible to modify the gcc backend in  such a way that the set of target instructions is somehow limited?  Can this be configured in some way, or  would it be necessary to hack in the source code?

For example, it should be possible (for IA32) to remove the "JG" (jump when greater) instruction.  It should be possible to use "JLE" or similar instead, without limiting the set of compilable programs.  Similarly, a SUB could be replaced by forming a 2's complement and an ADD instruction, etc.  I assume gcc must have this capability, since a RISC instruction is also limited in this way.

Any replies highly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Cristian