Re: PDP-11 ABI for cross compiler

Aram Havarneanu wrote:
Hello, I want to build a PDP-11 cross compiler. Actually I want 2 compilers:

1) A compiler that produces executable images that can run on 2.11BSD.

Your target name would be for instance 'pdp11-bsd2.11'...

2) A compiler that produces PDP-11 code that I can load in the memory
and execute directly without an Operating System loaded (obviously, I
wouldn't have a libc to link my programs).

Your target name would be for instance 'pdp11-aout'

Obviously the target for the compiler is pdp11, but I can't figure out
what ABIs do I need to use. Any hints?

ABIs? You would need the prebuilt 'Standard C library' for PDP11/2.11BSD for the $target #1, just as producing the GNU binutils for the same $target. Getting the C library seems to be somehow "complicated", basically one "installs" the 2.11BSD system somewhere like the SIMH simulator:

http://vak.ru/doku.php/proj/pdp11/211bsd

and after that copies the headers and libraries from the installed system onto one's cross-host... For "just for a fun" crosstoolchain builders the bare headers & libs in a tarball would be much
better...

Binutils would be required for the $target #2 too, and maybe the newlib headers unless you use the
'--without-headers' in GCC configure...

So the builds would be quite plain vanilla ones.