Re: Architecture Types

Brian McGrew <brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> We have to stay with Fedora Core 5 and 2.6.16.16 for now.  But, Dell is
> shipping us new Precision T5500 workstations with the Intel Xeon 5500
> processor and the new "QPI" architecture.
>
> I don't know that I need to change anything about gcc; but then again, I
> don't know that I don't need to change it either...
>
> What version of gcc do I need to support QPI?
> What flags to I need to build gcc with to support QPI?
> What -march, -mcpu or -mtune (or other) options to I need to build my
> codebase to support QPI?

What is your goal?  If you just want to generate code which will run,
you don't need to change anything.  If you want to generate code which
runs more efficiently, then you will want to upgrade to a new version of
gcc.  But the efficiency difference is unlikely to be large, unless your
code is unusual.

Ian