Re: 64-bit gcc

Seyran Avanesyan wrote:

> > What do you mean by "original gcc"?
>
> By "original gcc" I meant not the one in MinGW (or any other ports of
> GCC). My understanding is that GCC was created for Linux/Unix systems in
> first place.

You're making a distinction where one does not exist.  gcc is gcc.  gcc
currently supports something like three dozen architectures, all from a
single code base.  (And if you count OS variations[1] and bare metal
systems the number of distinct targets is in the hundreds.)  There is no
"linux gcc version" or "windows gcc version", it's all the same codebase
built with different options or in different environments.

Some ports might have some local patches that are not in FSF gcc (but I
don't think mingw-w64 has any) but those are usually to correct broken
behavior in certain corner cases so they are things you want.

Brian

[1] For example, for the x86 architecture alone: Linux, Darwin/OS X,
Cygwin, MinGW, {Free,Net,Open}BSD, RTEMS, Vxworks, bare metal, etc.