Can gcc-4.2 be used to measure coverage on SMP platforms?

Hello,

    I have a newbie question about gcov and SMP support in gcov.

    I am trying to measure the coverage information of a
multi-threaded application running on an SMP platform. I compiled the
image with "-fprofile-arcs -ftest-coverage" and linked with -lgcov.
All optimizations were turned off. When the coverage was observed,
some of the counters were wrong. Sure enough, in the disassembly
output, the incrementing of the gcov related variables was not atomic.
Searching gcc manuals for further info on gcov did not yield any
information. The documentation on SMP and gcov support is rather
sparse.

- Does gcc-4.2 support atomic_increment of the gcov related information?
- If so, is there another option that needs to be specified along with "gcc"
- Does gcc-4.3.1 support atomic_increment of gcov counters
natively(i.e, without further flags)?

I appreciate your help in advance. Please excuse if this is already
mentioned in documentation.

Thank you,
Ram