Re: Force gcc to include builtin functions in the executable

On 05.08.2008, at 23:38, Roland Kindermann wrote:

Hello,

I have a program that uses four builtin functions: __alloca, ___main, _memset and _strcpy. While __alloca is compiled directly into the executable, the other three are used from a library. Is there a way to make gcc compile ___main, _memset and strcpy also into the executable such that it does not use any libraries anymore?

I already tried -nostdlib but that results in link errors.

For those who care: The reason why I want my executable independent from any libraries is that I perform static analysis on it and my analysis tool is not yet able to take additional libraries into account.

You may try the explicit builtin-versions (the once that are prefixed with "__builtin_", such as "__builtin_strcpy", however, I doubt that this helps. AFAIR, builtins of library functions are just an *option* the compiler *might* use when this would result in more efficient code, but there is no way to force gcc to actually use them under all circumstances.

To prevent dependencies to some C library, I would just define own versions of the respective functions. After all, they should not be that difficult to implement :-)

Daniel