Re: Testing and Verifying GCC Compiler Reproducibility

Michael Gould wrote:
GCC team,

I'm working on a project that uses the GCC compiler.  I'm required by the FDA to produce documentation to show that the GCC compiler always gives the same results for a given set of code.  I'm concerned about testing the reproducibility of compiled code.  How do I go about testing and verifying that the compiler always reproduces the exact same compiled code for a given program?

What's wrong with compiling said code once and saving the result for use as your reference, and then on successive compilations, compare the results against the reference result using the cmp (or similar) command?

David Daney