Re: problem with gprof profiling when using cross compiler

Martin,

thanks for your response, but I am still not out of the water yet on this issue. I recompiled the kernel with this CONFIG_PROFILING enabled (something like Experimental mode was the only choice). And that solved one problem, so now we actually get the seconds (timing info). But the times do not add up even closely to the wall clock time - like 3 minutes different for a 3.5minute run. So I think there are other issues.

Someone told me, and I am not certain that I understand that once I create the kernel with this parameter enabled, and install it, that I have to rebuild my tool chain with it because there may be libs which are modified and that would effect the application which I just built. I'm not sure that I follow that - but does that sound correct? How would building a kernel using a cross compiler for a target platform, need to effect the tool chain on the build machine? Just guess I don't understand.

With an app with multi-threading going on, is there anything else which might need to be modified for profiling that you are aware of? We do have a shared lib called gprof-helper.so installed on the target and loaded.

thanks a bunch,

'mark