Re: G++/GCC not detetcing stupid errors in code.

You are looking for -Wconversion I guess.

Implicit conversion are a nice thing to have ;-).

Regards

-Sven

Laurent Dufréchou schrieb:
Hi there,

I’m using g++ for the first time via gcc 4.1.2.
I’ve written a little code (first C++ oriented and because guys with which I
work come from C, it is slightly modified to compile with G++ and gcc)

Code >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
//#include <iostream>
#include <stdio.h>

//using namespace std;

int main()

{

                int toto;

                short tata;

                toto = 1111118;

                tata = toto;  //error 1!

                //cout << toto << "tata:" << tata << endl;

                printf("%d %i",toto,tata);

                //return 0; //error 2 because no return

}

I i compile with gcc (cc), it detects no int returned error (OK good point)
But the downcast (tata = toto) doesn’t raise any warning!

If I use G++ the downcast is not detected and even more the return is not
also detected (!)

I was thining that Gcc was really strict and I choose it because I was
thinking that, I’m quite disappointed :/
I’ve tried –Wall –Wextra –pedantic + a ton of other switch with no luck…

Do i miss something ?
How can I put Gcc in “user is stupid I need to check all” mode?

Laurent