Re: gcc-4.3.0: etc and release in host tools?

Bernard Leak <bernard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> # these tools are built for the host environment
> # Note, the powerpc-eabi build depends on sim occurring before gdb in
> order to
> # know that we are building the simulator.
> # binutils, gas and ld appear in that order because it makes sense to run
> # "make check" in that particular order.
> host_tools="texinfo byacc flex bison binutils gas ld fixincludes gcc sid
> sim gdb make patch prms send-pr gprof etc expect dejagnu ash bash bzip2
> m4 autoconf automake libtool diff rcs fileutils shellutils time
> textutils wdiff find uudecode hello tar gzip indent recode release sed
> utils guile perl gawk findutils gettext zip fastjar gnattools"
>
> Most of these make some sort of sense, but could you please explain
>   (a)  etc (a mistake?)
>   (b)  release (a mistake?)
>   (c)  sim  (Clearly some sort of simulator.  There's a "sim" source
> package in Debian, but how can I know it's what you meant?)
>
> "sid" is, I suppose, the  thing from SourceWare.

This is all to support single-tree builds, in which people put a bunch
of sibling directories under a single top-level Makefile; this was a
scheme developed at Cygnus.  Most of the directories you mention can
be found in the src CVS repository, the one which holds the GNU
binutils and gdb.

Ian