gcc-4.3.0: etc and release in host tools?

Dear List,
                   apologies if this has been raised before, but looking
for "etc"
and "release" doesn't seem promising!

gcc-4.3.0/configure.ac

has

# these tools are built for the host environment
# Note, the powerpc-eabi build depends on sim occurring before gdb in
order to
# know that we are building the simulator.
# binutils, gas and ld appear in that order because it makes sense to run
# "make check" in that particular order.
host_tools="texinfo byacc flex bison binutils gas ld fixincludes gcc sid
sim gdb make patch prms send-pr gprof etc expect dejagnu ash bash bzip2
m4 autoconf automake libtool diff rcs fileutils shellutils time
textutils wdiff find uudecode hello tar gzip indent recode release sed
utils guile perl gawk findutils gettext zip fastjar gnattools"

Most of these make some sort of sense, but could you please explain
  (a)  etc (a mistake?)
  (b)  release (a mistake?)
  (c)  sim  (Clearly some sort of simulator.  There's a "sim" source
package in Debian, but how can I know it's what you meant?)

"sid" is, I suppose, the  thing from SourceWare.

It would be *very* good if some sort of pointers could be provided for
these (current URLs would be
excellent).

                       Yours in befuddlement, after wasting a LOT of
time on this,

Bernard Leak.
All of these