From: Tom Browder [mailto:tom.browder@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 4:25 PM
To: Toufique, Imam
Cc: gcc-help@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: gcc 4.3.0 -- program search path issue

On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 10:37 AM, Toufique, Imam
<imam.toufique@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi there Tom,
>
> Did you built gcc 4.3.0 with this method that you have described?  Was
> the install successful?

Yes, Imam, many times.  I have had as many as four versions of
gcc-x.y.z working in addition to the stock gcc that came with the
distribution at the time.

But I have to confess that I can't remember ever ever using the older
versions.  I have pretty good control over the software I use and
haven't had many problems with old source not working with new gcc
versions.  (Now gcc 4.3 is a different story--that was a pain with
some packages, including the Loki library.)

I always try to have the latest gcc release on hand--mainly due to the
better and better C++ handling (as well as FORTRAN).

-Tom