Re: Should I be able to build cross gcc 4.x on Cygwin?

Rick Mann wrote:
How can i get the combined build to not build multilib versions of newlib, but rather, just one version that matches the targeted processor?
The weirdest thing here is this "reinventing the wheel" !

I understood newlib already being built for the $target on MacOS X. But for some very peculiar reason it should be reproduced for just
the same $target on Cygwin....

What will happen next ?

o the results will be compared, file by file and if there is any difference, one of the produced GCCs outputs bad code... But which one? This can be a good test for the "equivalency" or "similarity" of the two GCCs on different hosts.

o the results will NOT be compared, any differences are taken as "host dependencies", of course a Cygwin-hosted GCC produces different code for the $target than a MacOS X hosted one... (Does someone really believe this?)

What will the up-to-date "software engineering" books say about this wheel-reinvention? I read my "Pressman" ("A practitioner's approach") over 10 years ago, so I don't remember any advices for reinventions in these things :(

I myself would TRUST that newlib done on MacOS X and would keep ONLY that on both hosts. If some day there would be some bugs found, the MacOS X hosted GCC would be sued or the newlib sources.... Maybe then trying the Cygwin hosted GCC to produce
the same newlib sources would come in question.