Re: Should I be able to build cross gcc 4.x on Cygwin?

Rick Mann wrote:
> I've been able to build an xscale-elf-targeted GCC (and binutils and
> newlib) on Mac OS X. Now I have to do the same thing on Cygwin (ugh),
> and it doesn't work.
>
> One thing is that Cygwin has GCC 3.4, not 4.x.
>
> Looking around, the GCC installation notes seem to imply that 3.4 can
> build 4.x, so I'm wondering if there's something in particular I need to
> watch out for?

 Without a definition of "doesn't work," we may not be of much
assistance. Cygwin special gcc will bootstrap all more recent gcc
versions. Of course, there are Windows versions and Windows versions.
Don't expect Windows versions from over 5 years ago, or an installation
which doesn't do a clean file system or registry check, to work.  Of
course, watch out for buggy antivirus programs.  If you are building
libstdc++, you would need to remove the WERROR macros there, unless your
headers meet the criteria set.   The gcc source must be installed in a
place such that there are no spaces in the path. On some installations,
it is necessary to set HOME to the top level gcc source directory.
Other than that, build on a multi-threaded platform if you want to
finish within 8 hours.
If you find that you had forgotten necessary software components in your
cygwin installation, after installing them, start your gcc configure and
build over from scratch.  In my experience, cygwin automake is broken
with respect to gcc builds, so don't install that.