Re: Should I be able to build cross gcc 4.x on Cygwin?

--- Rick Mann <rmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Brian, Tim, Ted: Thank you for your help.
>
> I seem to be building GCC now under Cygwin. However,
> it's going VERY
> slowly. The desktops we have here are generations
> behind my MacBook
> Pro, it appears.

Define "VERY slowly."  On my system, I set it to build
in the evening, and it is complete about 12 hours
later.  I used the following to configure it:

../gcc-4.2.2/configure --srcdir=../gcc-4.2.2 --verbose
--disable-nls --without-included-gettext
--enable-version-specific-runtime-libs --without-x
--disable-libgcj --disable-libgcj-debug
--disable-java-awt --with-system-zlib
--enable-java-gc=boehm --enable-threads=posix
--enable-sjlj-exceptions --disable-win32-registry
--with-win32-nlsapi=unicode
--enable-hash-synchronization --enable-libstdcxx-debug
--enable-languages=c,ada,c++,fortran,java,objc,obj-c++,treelang

NB: I am building support for all the languages.  I
have yet to see a build with this configuration fail a
significant number of tests in the test suite (I
always to make check before attempting an install.

Since you aren't building everything, IIRC, your build
ought to take less time.

Now, make check takes more time than the basic build,
so I leave off starting that until the weekend.

> This is really a newlib question, but traffic seems
> light on that list.
>
> How can i get the combined build to not build
> multilib versions of
> newlib, but rather, just one version that matches
> the targeted
> processor?
>
> Is it enough to specify
>
> --disable-multilib
>
> or must I do something in addition?

Don't know. I haven't had to investigate that.  I just
thought I'd give you a little information about how
long my builds of GCC take, along with how I configure
it, to better put the time of your builds into
perspective.  My hardware was obsolete when I bought
it, as is normal: 3800+ AMD Athlon 64 X2, w/ 4 GB RAM
(Yes, I know, 32 bit Windows sees only 3.5 GB, but
hey, I'll eventually upgrade it to 64 bit Windows, and
might as well get the RAM while it is available and
affordable).   Just how long are your builds taking?

Ted