Re: GCJ .jar to .so with native method

Joe Hoffert wrote:

One more question. Is there any advantage to converting a .jar library
to a .so library and using it as opposed to simply using the
original .jar file with the Java invocation API and the JNI to call back
to C++ from Java? I thought I would get a performance increase with
using the .so library but perhaps there are no substantive differences
between the two approaches.

It depends on how much work the code in the .jar is doing. Compiling to a .so will generally produce faster code, but the memory overhead of a .so may make using the interpreter on the .jar a better option.

If you really care, you could try both ways.

David Daney