Re: reduce compilation times?

J.C. Pizarro wrote:
On 2007/11/28, John (Eljay) Love-Jensen <eljay@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Duft,

I assume, that all strategies discussed here are targeted at C. now what about C++, how do things behave there? As far as i know C++ is much different, and requires completely different thinking with regards to splitting source in more files, etc.
The Large-Scale C++ Software Design by Lakos which I've recommended targets C++.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0201633620

How to take you of care in "dangling pointers" and "memory leaks"
from C++ sources?
Debuggers and profilers.  (Hint:  learn to use gdb and valgrind).

For large-scale projects, besides C++, there are another high-level
languages as Java (hated people because of Sun), Eiffel, Erlang,
Mercury, Oz, Common Lisp, Ruby, Python, etc.

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programming_language
2. http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Programming/Languages/
3. http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Programming/Languages/
4. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_programming_languages
4.1 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_programming_languages
4.2 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alphabetical_list_of_programming_languages
4.3 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generational_list_of_programming_languages
4.4 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categorical_list_of_programming_languages

This is asinine and off-topic for this list. If you want to talk about other languages that are not used in, or provided by, the GCC toolset, you should probably move the conversation off-list.

That said, who in their right mind develops a large modern day project in Eiffel, Erlang, etc, whatever, etc?

I'd rather use Perl or C (or I suppose C++) as they're languages that are likely to be well supported in, oh say, 10-20 years. Seen many Cobol compilers recently?

Tom