RE: reduce compilation times?

Hi mahmoodn,

> I have single core, P4. So I think -j does not make any sense. Is it right?

If your hard drive throughput is faster than your CPU, then you are correct and it does not make any sense.

For example, if you are using a 25 MHz 68030 and a 15,000 rpm 8 GB cache Seagate drive connected through SCSI-3, the drive is probably able to completely feed the CPU.

However, if your hard drive throughput is slower than your CPU, then -j makes sense.

For example, if your CPU is a single core Pentium 4 at 3.6 GHz, and your hard drive is any ATA connected IDE drive, then -j would help, since the CPU would have many spare cycles to burn while waiting for the hard drive to feed it, so it could be busy working on another compiler concurrently.

HTH,
--Eljay