Re: GPROF -pg C++ and library

Olivier Delannoy wrote:
Hi all,
I hope it's the correct place for this question.

I am trying to profile my application which is organized in several
libraries. I would like to know what I need to do to get a profile
which actually represent my application and not only a part of it. The
program is composed of dynamic libraries and I am interesting in
getting profile from the dynamic libraries functions as well.
Libraries have been compiled using -pg -g3 -O0  as well as the main
program but I can't find any statistics on the usage of functions
defined in libraries. The application is written in C++ and makes use
of a few C libraries (which I am not interested in for profiling).

What is the common way to gather these information using -pg and gprof.

It may seem like a holdover from the dim past, but I make a special build with everything I want to profile compiled and static linked with -pg. Just a day ago, it was pointed out that oprofile would be more satisfactory for profiling with dynamic libraries. Likewise, Intel VTune and PTU profilers will capture information from g++ linux or MS compatible windows dynamic libraries, if compiled with -g or -Zi. A few days ago, I tried PTU on a g++ build on Windows, and got only information by dynamic library, not by function. Sorry, but it's not evident to me what platform you are discussing. -pg certainly is a gcc option appropriate for discussion on this list.

---AV & Spam Filtering by M+Guardian - Risk Free Email (TM)---