RE: egcs help

Hi Steve,

> A colleague wants to use a piece of software developed in the 1990s, but written EGCS.  Is there help in getting this going?

Most likely, the code needs to be ported from "EGCS's proto-C++" to compliant C++ (ISO 14882).

> I understand the EGCS was merged back into the g++ fold...

Correct.

> ... but g++ as currently developed doesn't like the code.

GCC's C++ has become more-and-more compliant to the ISO 14882 standard over the versions & years.

As I recall, EGCS was a splinter effort due to frustration that GCC wasn't keeping up with the rapid evolution of C++ during the standardization process.  There was substantial churn during the C++ standardization process, such that it was a very difficult moving target to pin down.

Since C++ was standardized, GCC has become much, much more compliant with C++.

Old EGCS is not very C++ compliant.  And code based upon it may also be not very C++ compliant, depending if that code used (at that time) well established core C++-isms which have made it into the standard, or the lunatic fringe of proto-C++-isms which did not make it into the standard.

HTH,
--Eljay