Feature of "placement new" in G++ compiler

Hi,
I have client server programs on Red Hat Linux, compiled using g++ 3.2.3.
Server program reads data from a database & populates the information in a STL map. The client consumes this data from map.
I would like to put this map in shared memory. I tried using "placement new" for instantiating this map in shared memory.
Server program writes fine everything in the map.
Also, client reads the data from the map fine when server program is stopped.
But, if I keep the server also running & make the client program access this map. This causes the server program to crash.
Could this because "placement new" is broken on GCC 3.2.3 on Red Hat Linux?
I read on GCC bugs reports that there is one bug open for this.
Is this bug closed or is this placement new feature now available in latest versions of GCC, like 4+?

Please guide.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
Ganesh