Re: Building a Linux->AIX crosscompiler -- problem with libgcc_s.a

Torsten Schlabach writes:

 > Sorry for the typos, I was writing this out of the top of my head and I
 > was tired then.
 >
 > Reading your two posts, are you saying this could be a bug in the GCC
 > sources?
 >
 > To answer your questions:
 >
 >  > What on earth "first stage gcc"?
 >
 > I understand that the idea of building a cross-compiler would be:
 >
 > 1. Build a cross-binutils for the target platform.
 > 2. Build some kind of cross-gcc for the target platform.
 > 3. Use that cross-gcc (in some howtos referred to as 1st-stage GCC) to
 > build a glibc for the target platform.
 > 4. Re-build GCC with itself.
 >
 > Are you saying I need a AIX C library on my Linux host system in order
 > to be able to build a Linux hosted cross-compiler for AIX? Why?

That's the hard way to do it, and might not even be possible if you
don't have the sources for the AIX C library.

The easy way to do it is to copy the root of an installed AIX
filesystem, with /usr/include and /usr/lib, and build a cross-compiler
with the '--with-sysroot=$sysroot' pointing at the root of tis
filesystem.

Andrew.