Re: Build on powerpc-ibm-aix4.3.1.0

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 16:28:42 -0400
David Edelsohn <dje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > error: weakref is not supported in this configuration
>
> 	Are you using Binutils on AIX, e.g., GNU Assembler and Linker?  Or
> do you have it installed somewhere and the build is finding it?  Please
> use the native AIX tools.

Sorry for the delay replying but it takes a while to run a bootstrap on this platform and I wanted to be certain I'd checked everything.

Firstly, binutils are not being used. The only assembler and linker on the system are the native AIX as and ld. I didn't install binutils because of the warning in the original gcc installation documentation I had (which I think dated back to 2.95 a long time ago).

What I have found so far is that the following fails with the 'weakref not supported' error message:

CONFIG_SHELL=/usr/local/bin/bash /home/edwardss/gcc/configure --mandir=/usr/local/share/man --infodir=/usr/local/share/info --with-gmp=/usr/local --with-mpfr=/usr/local --enable-languages=c,fortran

time make bootstrap-lean

However the following succeeds:

CONFIG_SHELL=/usr/local/bin/bash /home/edwardss/gcc/configure --mandir=/usr/local/share/man --infodir=/usr/local/share/info --with-gmp=/usr/local --with-mpfr=/usr/local --enable-languages=c,fortran --disable-multilib

These are in build directories seperate from the source tree as stated in the installation instructions BTW.

In the past I only used '--disable-multilib' when building the c++ front end. This I rarely do at the moment as I only really want the fortran and C front ends and the c++ build on this hardware takes a truely amazing amount of time.

I'm currently running 'make check' (after finally getting expect installed and working).

I will try a bootstrap next with the c++ front end enabled too (just as a test).

I'm quite satisfied with using this option for my bootstrap but if anyone would like me to try out any deeper diagnostics I would be happy to hear any suggestions.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Steve