RE: Are java executables standalone?

Thanks, I don't remember what Jet's auxiliary stuff was. It might have been
the JVM or some library. But Jet produced an .exe for windows from my java
directory with one command line "jc -main=program program" and gathered
automatically the local .class files it needed. I gave program.exe to a
friend to use and it gave the info I have forgotten but wouldn't execute
like
I expect an .exe to execute. So I am wondering if gcc requires similar
deployment auxiliaries. I don't really want to go back to Fortran or Turbo
Pascal 5.5
or Turbo c which were actually neat compilers though I need them sometimes
change old programs.