RE: Are java executables standalone?

hill0093 writes:

 > I think there is some kind of misunderstanding. I am talking about
 > executable binaries like fortran, pascal, and c compilers all
 > normally produced say 10 years ago, not the java byte codes.

Most people stopped doing that for a very good reason.

A little while ago there was a serious security hole found in zlib,
and it turned out that zlib was statically linked to 100 or so
different packages.  A single Linux distribution had very quickly to
produce 100 emergency erratum packages!  Most people said "never
again."  :-)

Andrew.