where did -minline-all-stringops go?

Sorry I know that this applies to older versions of the compiler, but I am stuck using them. I have been spending that last few days trying to use the gcc compiler to do some better optimizations since we really didn't do that previously.

We compile our code on Linux using 3.2.2 on red hat 9. That version of the compiler has the option "-minline-all-stringops".

So Now I've moved to our Solaris SPARC machine which happens to have GCC 3.3.2, but it appears that this version of the compiler had this option removed (as we compile with -Werror it causes a problem). I obviously removed that option for Solaris but I am wondering why that option was removed? Was there a problem with it and I should avoid using it with the linux version as well?

I do not have control over the version of the compilers we use ( :( ) so I can not make them all the same version.

I'm just curious about this particular flag and why it was removed.

Thanks

Linux Red Hat 9
gcc (GCC) 3.2.2 20030222 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-5)
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Solaris 9 SPARC
gcc (GCC) 3.3.2