Re: Building _statically linked_ crosscompiler toolchain.

On Thu, 7 Jun 2007, David Daney wrote:

glibc does not work very well statically linked. So I don't think that is a good idea.

People keep saying that....but never saying in what way doesn't it work or why.

The only hint I have seen as to why that may be is Internationalized
Error messages may get screwed up. If that is so that is the very
least of my concerns since the team is all english.

Perhaps you should build the toolchain on the oldest distribution that will have to be supported. An alternative is to have a build for each incompatible host system.

So do something that takes several hours to build on my latest and
greatest and fastest 3.4Ghz 1Gb ram dual core system.....

And build it on every system in the team...

Including the bloke with the 100Mhz celeron  & 256 MB ram.

Hmm.

Hmm. One of the reasons for having a single "blessed" build of the
compiler is it is one less variable to check & account for when the
inevitable "Works for Joe, but Not For John" class of bugs arises.

Sigh! Why is this so hard?

Why have we taken a leap back into the dark ages where we cannot share
a user space program without either recompiling or having identical systems.

PO Box 1645 Christchurch                Email : john.carter@xxxxxxxxxx
New Zealand