Re: Problems properly escaping backslashes in dos pathing in a Makefile

Chris Nighswonger wrote:

>   Any help would be greatly appriciated. I may be completely off
> target here so feel free to correct me.

This has nothing to do with gcc at all, I'm afraid.  If your question is
primarily related to handling paths in Makefiles, ask on the make-w32
list, but I can tell you right now that the answer is that backslashes
in Makefiles are always wrong; use forward slashes.  Windows is
perfectly happy with forward slashes as directory separator.  If your
question is about Cygwin and mixing POSIX and Win32 paths (i.e.
/var/log/foo vs. x:/some/thing) then try the Cygwin list, but be
forewarned that Cygwin is intended to support POSIX apps in a POSIX
environment and so trying to build/use apps that expect win32 paths in
Cygwin will run into all kinds of impedance mismatches.  If you want to
build Windows apps that understand driver-letter-style paths, you should
use MinGW, which also has a mailing list.

But nothing above has anything to do with the compiler itself (the
differences between MinGW/Cygwin are primarily the headers and runtime
library support, not the interworkings of the compiler itself) so this
is definitely the wrong place to ask.

Brian