Re: 4.2.0 installation problem - `bison' missing on your system

It is unclear why you don't CC the gcc-help list, as I am doing now. The answers you receive are intended to be accessible by all, not just you.

David Daney

Joseph Bentley wrote:
David,
This is how I did my install:

How I installed the gcc 4.2.0 compilers on LINUX
1.Download the BZIP2 compressed file: gcc-4.2.0.tar.bz2
2.Unzip the BZIP2 file: bunzip2 gcc-4.2.0.tar.bz2
3.Untar the tar file: tar xvf gcc-4.2.0.tar
4.Create an obj directory: mkdir objdir
5.Change directory to the obj directory: cd objdir
6.Configure the gcc compilers: ../gcc-4.2.0/configure
Note: this failed during the 4.1.2 installation. I had to first
install the Textinfo package to get it to work
7.Run make: make
Note: this failed. I had to first install the bison package and then
repeat the configure to get it to work.
8.su to root unless you have the necessary write permissions: su root
9.Copy the new executables into the "local/bin" directories: make install

On 5/22/07, David Daney <ddaney@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Joseph Bentley wrote:
> David,
> I solved the problem by repeating the configure (after the bison
> installation).
> Thanks for your reply.
> Joe

Well there is still a problem.  If you are building from the 4.2.0
tarball, you should not need bison.

It would be helpful for us to know how you built so we can determine if
there is a problem with the gcc-4.2.0 tarball.

David Daney