From: Brian Dessent [mailto:brian@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, May 14, 2007 4:40 PM
To: Karl Kobata
Cc: gcc-help@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: FW: gcc 3.4.4 - redhat REL3 vs cygwin libraries

Karl Kobata wrote:

> Using gcc 3.4.4 on a redhat REL3 linux workstation, I can compile an
> application with no errors, yet if I do the same over on the cygwin gcc
> 3.4.4, I get many errors that seem to be syntax related.  Since there are
so
> many errors and the platform is the only difference, I would like to
verify
> that all libraries and linked files are the same between the 2 platforms.
>
> How do I go about determining that I have the same libraries on both
> platforms?
> How do I determine the version that I should have?
> How do I determine the version that I need to install or update to?

This is not really a gcc question.  You'd have more luck with the cygwin
list.

Cygwin and Linux are very different platforms, owing to the fact that
Windows and Linux are extremely different operating systems.  On linux,
the C standard library is implemented by glibc, whereas on Cygwin it's
implemented by Cygwin (with help from newlib.)  So you can't expect for
everything to be the same, although Cygwin tries very hard to provide a
compatible environment that will allow most linux programs to compile
without modification.  But these porting issues do not relate to the
compiler at all, so again, try the Cygwin list.

If you are getting tons of link errors, it suggests something
fundamental is wrong.  One thing that is actually related to the
compiler (although not really since it's actually the linker which is
not part of gcc) is that on ELF systems the order of objects/libraries
specified when linking does not matter when linking against shared
libraries, only when linking against static libraries.  On PE platforms,
the order matters for both cases, so if your link command has -lfoo
coming before the objects/libraries that use symbols from libfoo, you
need to reorder the command.  This is a very common mistake that you can
only get away with on certain systems and certain circumstances, so it's
in your best interest to fix it if you care about portability.

If that does not describe your problem, then you need to be much more
specific about the commands you use, the exact errors you get, and so
on.  If you just want a list of installed packages, each system has its
own method, for example on cygwin you can use "cygcheck -cd", on a
Debian system you'd use "dpkg-query -l", and on RPM systems I'm sure
there's an equivalent yum-type command.  But package management is not a
gcc-help topic.

Brian