Re: source code modifications

First, always reply to the mailing list, not
to an individual.

ranjith kumar wrote:
--- Michael Eager <eager@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

ranjith kumar wrote:
Hi

1) I want to do some modifications in source code.
I'm assuming that you mean source code modifications
to gcc.

   After that modifictions, must I install gcc
again
 to use modified gcc? Isn't there any short
method?

While testing, you can execute xgcc in the build
directory
to check if your changes work as expected.

What do you mean?
I have 'gcc-4.1.2' and 'obj'.
gcc-4.1.2 contains gcc-4.1.2 sourc code.
obj is object directory.

After installation xgcc file was found in /obj/gcc/xgcc
./obj/gcc/stage2/xgcc
./obj/gcc/stage1/xgcc

obj is the build directory (it's where you
executed make) and obj/gcc/xgcc is the compiler.

Now (after installation is over) if do a modification
in one of a file in gcc-4.1.2, what should I do get
the  compiler reflecting that modification?

Run make in the build directory.  Some modifications
which involve configure or makefiles may require you
to rerun configure.

Dont I have to install again?

If all you want to do is test the intermediate
version (xgcc) to see if your changes worked, no.
If you want to make a final version of the gcc,
you need to install it.

Can I use that xgcc as the compiler reflecting that
modification?

This would not be advisable.  Once you complete
your modifications, delete the build directory and
rebuild gcc from scratch.

--
Michael Eager	 eager@xxxxxxxxxxxx
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077