Re: make error

q-x jiang wrote:
Dear Sir or Ms,
I am installing a local gcc in a SUSE10.1 environment (with gcc-4.1.0)
so as to use g77 support.

It's much easier to install a pre-built binary than rebuild gcc or g77.

I downloaded the complete gcc-4.1.0 tar ball from a mirror site, and
configured it at my local user directory with

../gcc-4.1.0/configure --prefix=/home/jiangq/gcc4 --disable-bootstrap

The configure went through OK, but 'make' generated the following errors:

WARNING: `makeinfo' is missing on your system.  You should only need it if
         you modified a `.texi' or `.texinfo' file, or any other file
         indirectly affecting the aspect of the manual.  The spurious
         call might also be the consequence of using a buggy `make' (AIX,
         DU, IRIX).  You might want to install the `Texinfo' package or
         the `GNU make' package.  Grab either from any GNU archive site.
make[3]: *** [fastjar.info] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/jiangq/gcc/fastjar'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/jiangq/gcc/fastjar'
make[1]: *** [all-fastjar] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jiangq/gcc'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I've run into this problem, most recently building on
Cygwin.  IIRC, make thinks that one of the .texi files
is younger than the .info file it creates.  This can
happen if the time stamps on the files are incorrect
or all the same (which is the case on Cygwin).

After you run configure, touch any .info file in fastjar
or a subdirectory.

--
Michael Eager	 eager@xxxxxxxxxxxx
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077