Exclude function from gcov analysis

To analyze our test coverage we build with -fprofile-arcs
-ftest-coverage, and then use gcov to analyze the resulting data files.
This works great, except that there are some functions that we would
like to exclude from gcov's analysis (i.e. gcov could report 100% even
if these functions weren't executed).  We'd rather not have to use
conditional compilation with #ifdefs to exclude this code when analyzing
coverage.

I see in http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2001-11/msg01543.html that a
"no_profile" attribute was added to the cfg-branch.  It seems like this
would do exactly what I'm looking for.  Unfortunately, it seems this
attribute was not merged to the trunk when this branch was closed,
although I could not find any reason why in the archives.  Does anyone
have any suggestions for how to exclude some specified functions from
gcov analysis, or failing that, any insight into what happened to
__attribute__((no_profile))?

Thank you,

--
James Juran