Re: glibc version dependencies

"Michael T" <raselmsh@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> So my question: can anyone tell me a good way to produce a binary
> which is glibc 2.2 compatible, other than building on a glibc 2.2
> system?  What determines which version of glibc is required by the
> binary?  (BTW, I do supply source code as well, but I would like to
> build a binary for people's convenience).

Unfortunately glibc is not forward compatible, and unfortunately there
is no way to restrict yourself to an older version of glibc.  I only
know of two ways to build a program which only relies on glibc 2.2.
The first and simplest is the one you mention: do the build on a glibc
2.2 system.  The second is to build a cross-compiler to a glibc 2.2
system; this is most easily done using crosstool.

Ian