glibc version dependencies

Hello,

I hope that this is not too much off-topic for this list... I am wanting to prepare a binary which can be used on a range of Linux systems, and depending on the system used to build it, it sometimes depends on the GLIBC_2.4 versioning symbol and sometimes not. This does not necessarily seem to depend on whether glibc 2.4 was on the system used to build it.

So my question: can anyone tell me a good way to produce a binary which is glibc 2.2 compatible, other than building on a glibc 2.2 system? What determines which version of glibc is required by the binary? (BTW, I do supply source code as well, but I would like to build a binary for people's convenience).

It would be nice if you could CC me, as I am not subscribed to this list. Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Regards,

Michael