Re: cross compiling for x86_64

Thanks for the help from gcc-help. For now, gcc (for the target platform = x86-64) is working for me.For clarification, my machine is x86 (32 bit) and I needed x86-64 binaries to be executed on a "virtual machine" that has HOST = my machine (x86) and GUEST = x86-64. So, here I had no machine which is x86-64 and hence no installed libraries

On 1/8/07, Andrew Haley <aph@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Kai Ruottu writes:
 > Andrew Haley wrote :
 > > Indu Bhagat writes:
 > >  >  I am trying to configure gcc for compiling some c,cpp and fortran
 > >  > sources to x86_64 on my x86 machine using the following steps:
 > >  >  2. After successful completion of step 1, gcc configuration and
installation:
 > >  >  3. After this, I proceeded with glibc, as I think one needs to have
 > >  >  appropriate library support as well, to support cross compilation.
> > OK, now you need to build gcc again, this time with glibc (not > newlib) support. > > The common rule is that the "appropriate library" is always the C
 > library for the $target!  For Red Hat's Linuces for instance it is
 > that for the Red Hat Linux in question, not for instance that for
 > some SuSE Linux or for some Debian or for some Ubuntu.  And not a C
 > library for some "totally self-made Linux" which the builder
 > produces oneself purely from sources!  If one doesn't know much,
 > the safe bet is always the original target stuff in the existing
 > target case!

Well, that's good enough if one already has a pre-built set of target
libraries: in that case, there is clearly no point building them
again.  However, the OP wants to build libc for the target, and I have
to assume they have a decent reason for doing so.

Andrew.