Re: sun-sparc-solaris9 fixinclude probs.

On Thu, 4 Jan 2007, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

> Hugh Sasse <hgs@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > 1 Fixincludes fails, and I can't see why this is.  Most of my gnu tools
> >   are up to date.
>
> Tell us how it fails.

I've posted the links to the output of the build process, and the output
of config.log, I can't see why it is failing or the nature of the failure,
all I can see is the final message about ia64:
Fixed:  unistd.h
Fixed:  wchar.h
Fixed:  widec.h
Newly fixed header:  ia64/sys/getppdp.h

There were fixinclude test FAILURES
gmake[2]: *** [check] Error 1

See http://www.eng.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~hgs/gcc-4.1.1-build-brains

> > 2 The build takes a long time.  Well, the machines are old, so that's
> >   fair enough I suppose.  I'm wondering how long I should expect a build
> >   to take on a modern system.  If my machine is more than twice as slow
> >   this might help me when trying to get funding for an upgrade.
> >   The long time means it is inconvenient to change things repeatedl
> >   until they work.
>
> Bootstrapping gcc does take a long time.  It can take 20 minutes on a
> new machine.  It depends a lot on how much RAM you have.  (The last
> time I tried to bootstrap on my VAXstation it took over 24 hours.)

It is taking over 6 hours here.

> > 3 I can't seem to build gmp -- at least gmp passes its tests and then
> >   guile complains it is not built, and GCC seems to think it is not
> >   there either.  So at present I'm trying to upgrade GCC as a means to
> >   compile gmp in order to compile the whole of GCC correctly.
>
> Sounds like GMP was built, but not installed correctly, or at least

Make install gave no errors at all.

> not installed in the expected place.  gcc has a couple of configure

I used the defaults, so it should end up in /usr/local, shouldn't it?
All my other GNU stuff is there.

> options you can use to help it find GMP.
>
> Ian

        Thank you,
        Hugh