sun-sparc-solaris9 fixinclude probs.

I have tried to build GCC on two solaris9 systems, for the slower of
which I've only built the C compiler.
The build scripts are at present:

http://www.eng.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~hgs/build-gcc-brains.ksh
Just cc -- in fact only using the gcc-core tarball.

http://www.eng.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~hgs/build-gcc-neelix.ksh
no java, or ada, or fortran based on the full tarball.

And the results for each machine are at:

http://www.eng.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~hgs/gcc-4.1.1-build-ksh-brains
http://www.eng.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~hgs/brains-gcc-4.1.1-config.log

http://www.eng.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~hgs/gcc-4.1.1-build-ksh-neelix
http://www.eng.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~hgs/neelix-gcc-4.1.1-config.log

(I know putting this on the web is less helpful for the archive, but
I'm not sure what would be useful to include from the large amount
of text. Feel free to paste relevant bits into the thread later.)

I have a number of problems:

1 Fixincludes fails, and I can't see why this is.  Most of my gnu tools
  are up to date.

2 The build takes a long time.  Well, the machines are old, so that's
  fair enough I suppose.  I'm wondering how long I should expect a build
  to take on a modern system.  If my machine is more than twice as slow
  this might help me when trying to get funding for an upgrade.
  The long time means it is inconvenient to change things repeatedl
  until they work.

3 I can't seem to build gmp -- at least gmp passes its tests and then
  guile complains it is not built, and GCC seems to think it is not
  there either.  So at present I'm trying to upgrade GCC as a means to
  compile gmp in order to compile the whole of GCC correctly.

What else would be useful information?

        Thank you,
        Hugh