Re: Fw: How to Port 32bit source code in compatible to 64bit OS

Syam Prasad Nagabairu wrote:
Hi All,
Here I already ported the source code to gcc from diab compiler by using
cygwin environment on Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]. Now the
requirement for me is to port this code on Linux in particular SUSE
linux.actually my need is to simulate the code on model. we need to port it
in compatible to 64bit. is it possible to port a 32 bit source code on
GNU/linux(i686 machine processor)? I am beginner in linux!please help me.
thanks in advance

cygwin doesn't support 64-bit Windows development. I certainly hope it may do so at some time not too far distant. If you write standard C code, rather than taking steps to make it a non-portable "32-bit" code, you should be able to make it run both on linux x86-64 (64-bit) and on i686-pc-cygwin (32-bit). If you are talking about porting the compiler itself, which I understand is a cross compiler, there may be no advantage in turning it into a 64-bit application, since the x86-64 OS supports 32-bit mode perfectly well.