Re: Hazard Detection

"Meissner, Michael" <michael.meissner@xxxxxxx> writes:

> I haven't programmed in the MIPS for awhile, but when I did, GCC
> expected the assembler to do the hazard detection (ie, if you
> disassemble the object code, there should be a NOP between the lh and
> the bnez if -mips1 was passed to the assembler.  GCC used to have a
> separate hazard detection pass many years ago, but it was removed when
> GAS added the support.

gcc did get hazard detection added back in again, though, and gcc can
now generate the whole function in .set noreorder.  See, e.g.,
mips_avoid_hazard in config/mips/mips.c.

I don't know what the original problem is here.  It may be a bug, or
gcc may be in a mode in which it expects the assembler to insert the
nop, or it may be necessary to use an appropriate -march option, or it
may be something else entirely.

Ian