Re: Question: possible feature for C++

Hi Peter,

> I'm thinking about some "improvement" for C++. Basically, that's about
> coming back to C++ from Java. Can C++ compiler find sources for
> referenced classes/types itself, like Java compiler does, i.e. without
> notion for includes?

The "module" proposal is being worked on for the next C++ standard, or
perhaps the one after.

One of the effects of the module proposal would be NOT to obsolesce the
preprocessor, but it would be a compelling alternative to using #include
preprocessor directives.

At the current moment, as I understand the situation, module proposal has
been cut from C++0x (2008-or-so of the ISO 14882), and pushed back to a TR
or perhaps the next update of the standard (2018-or-so).  Fortunately,

Google URLs on C++ Modules...
http://www.google.com/search?rls=en&q=modules+site:www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc2
2/wg21/&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Keep in mind that ISO standards are supposed to be stable for a 10 year
commitment at a stretch.  That's both bad (squelches compiler innovation),
and good (stops the moving target for compiler vendors).

> I'm looking for some discussion about this. Could you please point me
> some place, where such themes could be discussed? I believe I'm hardly a
> first one to think about it.

The place where the ongoing evolution and development of C++ itself is
happening is the C++ Standards Committee (JTC1, SC22, WG21).
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/

Also, there is a lot of C++ work going on in Boost, which likely a good
portion thereof will be incorporated into future C++ standards.
http://www.boost.org/index.htm

HTH,
--Eljay