 > > kanishk rastogi writes:
 > >  > On 11/24/06, Andrew Haley <aph@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 > >  > > kanishk rastogi writes:
 > >  > >  > On 11/24/06, Andrew Haley <aph@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 > >  > >  > > kanishk rastogi writes:
 > >  > >  > >  > if i call a func like:
 > >  > >  > >  >
 > >  > >  > >  > func("kanishk");
 > >  > >  > >  > the string "kanishk" will be defined in readonly segment or in read -
 > >  > >  > >  > write segment ?
 > >  > >  > >  > if they will be in read-only segment i dont want that....
 > >  > >  > >  > how can this be done
 > >  > >  > >
 > >  > >  > > Dammit, how many times do I have to repeat this?
 > >  > >  > >
 > >  > >  > > You just gotta declare them right.  Like this:
 > >  > >  > >
 > >  > >  > > char s[] = "kanishk";
 > >  > >  > > func(s);
 > >  > >
 > >  > >  > thanks for the advice andrew
 > >  > >  > and sorry for the annoyance
 > >  > >  > but the fact is I cant change the code because its more than 8000
 > >  > >  > lines so i am asking for a feature in gcc which i would have missed
 > >  > >
 > >  > > Your code is wrong.  "How do I get gcc to compile this code with these
 > >  > > bugs?" is not a sensible question.  Fix the bugs!
 > >
 > >  > sorry
 > >  > the code is not buggy. i think u have misunderstood the real problem statement.
 > >  >
 > >  > so the problem in more detail is as below:
 > >  >
 > >  > printf("kanishk");
 > >  >
 > >  > the above code compiles perfectly with gcc -Wall.
 > >  > gcc by default puts the string into read execute segment,but i want to
 > >  > put string "kanishk" into writeable memory (or other than read execute
 > >  > segment). Is there a way for doing this without making any change in
 > >  > calling sequence (for example it may be regulated by some switch in
 > >  > gcc) or there is no provision in C99 standard for it.
 > >
 > > OK, if it's not a bug, I need to ask another question.  I don't
 > > understand you at all: why do you want to put a constant string into
 > > writable memory?    Is this embedded, or what?
 >
 > its not.

Well, I'm about to give up, but I'll ask one last question.  You see,
the question you're asking doesn't make any sense.  No correct C or
C++ can possibly be affected by whether literal strings are in
writable memory or not, so your request is utterly baffling.  Why do
you care whether they're in writable memory?

Andrew.