Re: How do I build C++ for xscale-elf?

Jack Twilley kirjoitti:
Kai Ruottu wrote:
These are in the target C library, in its headers... Although using the '--with-newlib' should remove the need to have the target libraries and startups (the binary parts) preinstalled,

Yes, but isn't all that part of binutils?

No, you seemingly mixed my "binary parts" (of the C library), the '.a' and '.o' files, with the "binutils", the utility programs aimed to handle these "binary parts" ('ld', 'nm', 'strip', 'objdump',
'objcopy', 'ranlib',...)

Okay, I constructed the directory and symlink as you suggested, and rebuilt. I then had to add --disable-libssp, which got me very close. It failed while building "libobjc" (why is it doing that? I said C and C++, not ObjC) with an inability to find tconfig.h.
I really don't know :-( Maybe this is some bug in the configure. I don't remember this happening with the official FSF gcc-4.1.1 release... The '--enable-languages=c,c++' really should cause only the C and C++ compilers being built. It can be possible that the 'libobjc' will be tried to be configured but there it should check whether the '$build/gcc/cc1obj', the 'ObjC compiler', was done or not and if not the configure should stop! I remember something like this happening.

I have a target board, and in fact, a complete software suite that is tested on the target board. Just need to get this GCC to work.
If you already had any C libraries for this board, they most probably should be used! The newlib used to work with the 'Angel' monitor firmware on an ARM based board, but nowadays it should have support for 'Redboot' firmware etc. other 'runtime components' providing the basic I/O routines etc. That those 'read()', 'write()','lseek()', 'open()','close()' etc. "low-level-I/O" routines were in the 'libc.a', not in separate "glue libraries" for each HW, was a problem if one didn't have that 'Angel' monitor on the board... Having some kind of understanding about how those C programs are communicating with the I/O chips, the built-in I/O ports on the chip etc., is quite essential in order to understand why a program made with the defaults for 'xscale-elf' doesn't run on some board which doesn't have that 'Angel'... In this specific case a theologian could think an "elf" meaning just the same as "angel", but for it are alternatives like that "redboot"
(a guy with red boots?)  :-)

I assume you being aware of these "low level" things, but if not, don't be surprised if things
don't work when first tried....