exception handling support

Hello.

We are developing a piece of software that controls a complex
instrument, a kind of robot, and we are programming it in C++ using gcc
under Linux. We are wondering about if we should use exceptions to
handle software errors or not. In the past, I found problems with
exception handling with gcc, because it was still under development. It
is also possible that we need to run this piece of software in another
platforms, probably using another compilers to generate the binaries.

The questions are the following:

1.- Are exceptions fully supported and stable in gcc version 4.0.x? We
are using a Linux kernel 2.6.x.
2.- Is it possible that we find problems related to exception handling
if we try to compile our code in another platform using another compiler
(for example MSWindows with Borland C++ or Microsoft C++ compilers)?

Thanks in advance.