Re: Compiling applications for the new SMP processors

Jerin Joy wrote:
response to an old query:
I came across the 'mtune' option for gcc:
http://www.dis.com/gnu/gcc/i386-and-x86-64-Options.html

which allows me to specify my instruction set version. Can I achieve
better performance in my applications (firefox, thunderbird) by
specifying my instruction set with this option when compiling from
source?
-mtune options allow scheduling for the processor of your choice, without use of any specific instructions of your processor model. -march options can be more effective, if you don't require ability to run on older models. I believe gcc-4.2, for the first time in gcc, includes a check to make it default to options corresponding to the processor where the compile is running.