Re: GCC object files and Microsoft linker

Maurício wrote:
  Hi,

I don't know if this make sense, but I would be happy if so: I need to generate object files (from Fortran source) for a proprietary program that is going to link it against it's own object files. (The idea is that I can change some of the internal subroutines to fit my needs.) I was told I need to use Microsoft Visual Studio and Intel Fortran compiler (both proprietary tools) to do that. Do you think I could at least use gfortran to generate object files that are going to be linked with Microsoft linker? Or, better yet, use a gnu linker to link my object files against those compiled by Intel Fortran?

Apparently, my previous attempt to respond didn't take.
As you are considering gfortran, I'll assume you mean 32-bit Windows.
I assume the vendor of the proprietary program knows what they are talking about when they say Microsoft and Intel compilers (and the libraries they provide) are required. Evidently, no implementation of gfortran can provide those libraries, or compatibility with them. Thus, you will need to get the Intel libraries (licensed for redistribution) and the Microsoft libraries (not so licensed) somewhere else. Possibly, one of the free Microsoft compilers will take care of part of the requirement. Besides avoiding any run time library calls in the source you compile with gfortran, you would have to match the linker symbol conventions of the proprietary code. gfortran has an option -fno-underscoring, but I don't see any upper case option. The linker shouldn't be your biggest problem, unless you are on 64-bit Windows, for which I doubt you'll find a gnu linker or a gfortran. Either the 32-bit linker you get with gfortran, or the one you get with the Microsoft libraries, may work.