Re: GCC object files and Microsoft linker

-----Original Message-----
From: Maurício <briqueabraque@xxxxxxxxx>
To: gcc-help@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 11:39:56 -0300
Subject: GCC object files and Microsoft linker

   Hi,

   I don't know if this make sense, but I would be happy if so: I need
to generate object files (from Fortran source) for a proprietary program
that is going to link it against it's own object files. (The idea is
that I can change some of the internal subroutines to fit my needs.) I
was told I need to use Microsoft Visual Studio and Intel Fortran
compiler (both proprietary tools) to do that.
   Do you think I could at least use gfortran to generate object files
that are going to be linked with Microsoft linker? Or, better yet, use a
gnu linker to link my object files against those compiled by Intel Fortran?

If they told you it requires Visual Studio and Intel Fortran, there will be many run-time libraries needed which come only with those compilers. Those which come with Intel Fortran are licensed for re-distribution, those which come from Microsoft are not, although one of the free (or nearly so) Microsoft non-GUI versions may include those which you need. If you have a 64-bit build, there is no compatible gnu compiler or linker.  Even on a 32-bit build, e.g. with mingw, you will have to deal with the different linking symbols of Intel Fortran (default upper case, no appended underscore) and gfortran (default lower case, appended underscore), and you would have to avoid making any run time library calls from the source which you recompile.
Tim Prince